Our Guide To Landlord Certificates

If you are a landlord of any residential premises, including but not limited to: bed and breakfasts, pubs/restaurants, hotels/cottages and caravan sites, you are legally responsible for the safety of your tenants. Below we’ve written a guide for all landlords to better outline what you are and what you are not responsible for. We hope it helps clear any confusion…

Annual gas safety checks

All gas appliances, fittings and pipework must be checked at least once a year with regards to its safety in the premises. Examples of gas appliances might include gas ovens/cookers, gas stoves, gas boilers and gas fires. The products must be tested against the recommended frequency provided in the manufacturers handbook.


Once the property and its gas appliances, fittings and pipework have all been checked, you will be handed a certificate that recognises your compliance should UK regulators need to check the premises at any point in the future. It is important that you maintain this record for at least two years after it has been handed to you, or risk a backlash from the regulators.

Additionally, it is also important that you a) make the certificate viewable to new tenants upon the date of their arrival into the premises and b) present it to existing tenants within 28 days upon receiving the certificates.

Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms

In 2013, the UK Department of Health found that over 4,000 people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, a scary statistic. That’s why since 2015, UK law has legally enforced smoke alarms to be fitted on every floor where there is living accommodation. In addition, carbon monoxide alarms are to be fitted wherever a solid fuel is burnt, i.e. coal, wood, peat etc. It is good practice for all landlords to make sure that all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are a) fitted and b) functioning as they should be.

Tenant responsibilities

Whilst it is the legal responsibility of the landlord to get all gas-enabled appliances that were supplied with the property checked at least once per year, gas-enabled appliances that were bought into the property by the tenant do not need to be checked. However, it might be best practice to get everything checked in order to protect the property itself.

If you are a landlord and need to get your annual gas certificate, we’re more than happy to offer our assistance. You can contact us via the contact page of our website, email us at info@smartgasheating.com or you can give us a call on 01924614075. We’re based in Heckmondwike and cover all of the surrounding areas, including places such as Leeds, Batley and Dewsbury.